die Mariendistelhuelse - Milk Thistle Husk

Diskutiere die Mariendistelhuelse - Milk Thistle Husk im Forum Vogelkrankheiten im Bereich Allgemeine Foren - Hello, I live in England and here I can buy German Milk Thistle seed by the kilo. ( die Mariendistel Lat.: Silybum marianum ) I would...
W

William Astor

Hello,

I live in England and here I can buy German Milk Thistle seed by the kilo. ( die Mariendistel Lat.: Silybum marianum )

I would like to feed this wonderful seed to my finches ( finken ). But this seed is too big for them. In the past, I have used a food processor ( die Universal-Küchenmaschine ) to turn the whole seed into a powder but it is possible that the husk (die Huelse) that is mixed in, will harm the finches.

My intuition tells me that there must be a good reason why finches remove ( abbauen) the husk from the seeds ( schaelen ) before they eat them. So I want to find a way to to remove the husk from the Milk thistle seed BEFORE I turn it into a powder in my food processor.

Can anyone tell me how they have removed the husk from Milk thistle seeds, please ?

If you do not know, can you contact someone in Germany that will be able to find out ?

It would be extremely useful for bird keepers of any bird species to learn how to remove the husk from Milk Thistle seed because this seed is very useful in treating liver disease in both birds and humans.

You are welcome to answer me in simple German without using slang and idioms, if you find English difficult. I should be able to understand most of what you tell me and I will answer you in English.

Thank you for listening.

William
My website : http://astorwilliam.tripod.com/index.htm

Hallo

Könnte jemand diesen Text bitte übersetzen. Mein Schulenglisch reicht nicht .

Pine schrieb:
Hallo

Könnte jemand diesen Text bitte übersetzen. Mein Schulenglisch reicht nicht .

Hier mal eine freie Übersetzung des Textes :

Hallo!
Ich lebe in England, und hier kann ich deutschen Mariendistel -Samen auch als Kilo kaufen (die Mariendistel Lat.: Silybum marianum ). Ich möchte diesen wunderbaren Samen meinem Fink (finken) zu fressen geben . Aber dieser Samen ist für sie zu groß. In der Vergangenheit habe ich eine Küchenmaschine (die Universal-Küchenmaschine )benutzt , um den ganzen Samen in ein Puder(Pulver) zu verwandeln, aber es ist möglich dass die Hülse schaden kann , ( die Hülse die darin gemischt wird, dem Fink schaden wird )? Meine Instinkt sagt mir, dass es einen guten Grund geben muß, warum Finken die Hülse von den Samen (schälen) entfernen, bevor sie sie essen. So das ich einen Weg finden will, die Hülse von der Mariendistel -Samen zu entfernen, bevor ich es in ein Puder(Pulver) in meiner Küchenmaschine verwandle. Kann irgend jemand mir erzählen, wie sie die Hülse von Milch-Mariendistel -Samen entfernt haben? Wenn Sie es nicht wissen(kennen), können Sie sich mit jemandem in Deutschland in Verbindung setzen der dazu imstande sein wird es herauszufinden? Das würde für Vogelbesitzer jeder Vogel-Sorte äußerst nützlich sein zu lernen, wie man die Hülse vom Mariendistel -Samen entfernt .
Sie können mir auch in einfachem Deutsch antworten > ohne slang und mehrdeutige Wörter antworten , wenn ihnen Englisch zu schwer ist.Ich verstehe das meiste was sie mir sagen und werde in Englisch antworten.
Danke fürs zuhören .
William

Ich hoffe ich habe mit meiner Übersetzung weitergeholfen .

Liebe Grüsse
Nadine

Nadines schrieb:
Hier mal eine freie Übersetzung des Textes :

Hallo!
Ich lebe in England, und hier kann ich deutschen Mariendistel -Samen........
Ich hoffe ich habe mit meiner Übersetzung weitergeholfen .
Liebe Grüsse
Nadine

Thank you Nadine. I much appreciate your translation.

William

Hallo William,

Now I will try to give an answer.
Ich will mal versuchen, eine Antwort zu geben.

But my "School-English" is not very good, sorry... :p
Aber mein "Schul-Englisch" ist nicht sehr gut, bitte entschuldige...

I think, they remove the husk with machines.
Ich denke, die Schale wird maschinell entfernt.

I mean, it`s impossible to do this in another way.
Ich meine, es ist unmöglich, dies anders zu machen.

But I suppose, you can buy Milk Thistle seeds also as a powder, may be in a chemist`s shop.
Aber ich vermute, man kann Mariendistel samen auch als Pulver kaufen, möglicherweise in der Apotheke.

Indeed, I know any bird keepers, who turn the whole seed into a powder, and I never heard, that the husk, that is mixed in, will harm finches or other birds.
Allerdings kenne ich einige Vogelhalter, die die ganzen Samen zu Pulver mahlen, und ich hab noch nie davon gehört, daß die Schalen, die dabei mit hineingemischt werden, Finken oder anderen Vögeln schaden würden.

Many Greetings from Germany! :0-

Ursula

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
another idea

Hallo again! ;)

Another idea would be, you can try to pound the seeds in a mortar, so it would be easier to husk them -perhaps... :~
Eine andere Idee wäre, Du könntest versuchen, die Schalen im Mörser zu zerstoßen, sodaß es danach leichter ist, sie zu schälen -vielleicht... :~

Greetings

Ursula

Hello Ursula,

I very much like your idea of writing a sentence first in English followed by its German translation. This way more people can understand :)
There is a very good dictionary at http://dict.leo.org/

Vogel-Mami schrieb:
I think, they remove the husk with machines.
Ich denke, die Schale wird maschinell entfernt.

Yes. The puzzle is why I have never seen Milk thistle seeds for sale without the husk on as you commonly see sunflower seeds without the husk on for sale. [ sonnenblumekerne]

Vogel-Mami schrieb:
But I suppose, you can by Milk Thistle seeds also as a powder, may be in a chemist`s shop.
Aber ich vermute, man kann Mariendistel samen auch als Pulver kaufen, möglicherweise in der Apotheke.

I bought some Milk Thistle powder but I found that it had husk in it. For this reason I do not trust buying a powder. But I will buy milk thistle seeds without the husk on.

Vogel-Mami schrieb:
Indeed, I know some people, who turn the whole seed into a powder, and I never heard, that the husk, that is mixed in, will harm finches or other birds.
Allerdings kenne ich einige, die die ganzen Samen zu Pulver mahlen, und ich hab noch nie davon gehört, daß die Schalen, die dabei mit hineingemischt werden, Finken oder anderen Vögeln schaden würden.

If you read my Finch Self Medication Articles on my website, you will see that I have found that mixing 2 antibacterial herbs together in powder form or with eggfood can be dangerous to finches if the birds are sick because it does not allow them to make a choice between the two. Healthy finches can cope somehow.

The fact that the healthy finches do not seem to be harmed does not mean that they have not been harmed.

I have tasted the Milk thistle seed without the husk and I love its taste. I have also tasted the husk on its own and it tastes awful which means that there is likely to be some toxic substance in the husk to ward off insects that may want to burrow into the milk thistle seed.

Vogel-Mami schrieb:
Another idea would be, you can try to pound the seeds in a mortar, so it would be easier to husk them -perhaps...
Eine andere Idee wäre, Du könntest versuchen, die Schalen im Mörser zu zerstoßen, sodaß es danach leichter ist, sie zu schälen -vielleicht...

I tried this with the food processor and it works well. But the African finches eat the white seed so quickly that I find this method is too inefficient. . [ ineffizient ]

You probably grow a lot of this seed in Germany and I sincerely hope that someone will find out for me a practical way to remove the husk at home. I must find out.

Alternatively can you find out for me WHO in Germany can sell and deliver to England Milk Thistle Seeds by the kilo without the husk ?

Thanks for listening.
William

Mariendistel

Hello William,

the way you discribe to prepare the seeds for the birds is absolutly okay and would not harm them. The capsule is just a protection to avoid that the seeds going to be eaten by insects.
Sorry about my english, I´m a bit out of touch.
regards
Siggi

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Translation/Übersetzung

For the user, who are not english people...
Für die "Nicht-Engländer"... ;)

@ Sigg: Ich hoffe, das geht in Ordnung! :0-

"So wie Du das Herrichten der Samen für die Vögel beschreibst, ist das völlig okay und wird den Finken nicht schaden. Die Kapsel ist nur ein Schutz, der verhindert, daß die Samen von Insekten gefressen werden."

Liebe Grüße

Ursula

Hallo,
ist in Ordnung Ursula.
Beim nächsten Mal setze ich die Übersetzung darunter.
Habe allerdings nur einen Grund zur Schale angegeben, denn je mehr ich anführe, je mehr Fehler bastele ich in meinem "messy Englisch" in den Kommentar.

Gruß
Siggi

sigg schrieb:
Hello William,
the way you describe to prepare the seeds for the birds is absolutely okay and would not harm them. The capsule is just a protection to avoid that the seeds going to be eaten by insects.
Sorry about my english, I´m a bit out of touch.
regards
Siggi

Hello Siggi,

Your English is fine. Yes the way I describe breaks the husk on the seed and exposes the white stuff inside the seed. The birds eat the white stuff but do not eat the husk.

However, this method is inefficient [ ineffizient] because I can only put a small amount of seed at a time in the food processor.
This is why I would like to find a more efficient way of removing the husk from Milk thistle seeds.
I need to find out.

William

Thema: die Mariendistelhuelse - Milk Thistle Husk
Zurück
Oben