Mariendistel-Samen

Diskutiere Mariendistel-Samen im Forum Ernährung im Bereich Allgemeine Foren - Mariendistel -Samen Lat.: Silybum marianum Hello, I have asked the following query in another forum but did not obtain the information I was...
To counter the bacteria and fungi, I add 1 ml bleach to every 99 mls of water.

You may want to try adding bird bene bac totheir diet. There have been studies that this will keep gram neg bacteria very nicely at bay.

>Will sterile Milk Thistle seed still be medicinally active if eaten ?

The question being, whether they are sterilised in the first place.

If they are expsoed to heat, it would be likely that the relevant chemicals may decompose or at the vry least be impaired. Thus, I think it is unlikely that they would eb sterilised. But honestly, I do not know. Will ask the pharmacists when I order my next batch.

>So may I ask what you train them to do ?

Mostly husbandry behaviour.

i.E. going into the carrier, being handled everywhere. Allowing me to dremel beak and toenails, recall (wich is a very important skill in flighted birds), step-ups, I have even used training to aid in pairing parrots up, by rewarding them for "nice" behaviour.

When I have time (which I have been sadly lacking for quite a while now), I also teach them silly tricks. One of my Macaws will retrieve objects, eg.

>And if I remember well, Alex knows the meaning of hundreds of words. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Right, this parrot is absolutely phenomenal. Have you read the Alex story?

Just sad how she keeps him. Apparently durign weekends he was sitting alone in a darkened lab because Dr. Pepperberg "does not like to take work home". At one point he plucked quite badly, but I think that got resolved.

Last thing I heard is she ran out of funding and is looking for new sponsors.

Ann.

Hello William :0-

William Astor schrieb:
Can you tell me what you mean by old millet forms ?
Have a look yourself: http://www.vogelforen.de/showthread.php?t=58765
There the German names for all the millets he groes is statet. Unfortunately I don't know the English names of them. Perhaps Ann can help? :?

William Astor schrieb:
Does your farmer sell the unripe seed heads of old millet forms to finch breeders so that they will freeze the seed heads to feed their birds throughout the year ?
Yes he does. You can either order them via the link above or directly using this address:
Familie Heubeck
Egloffswinden 23
91522 Ansbach
Germany

Telefon/Fax: +49 (981) 85783

Ann Castro schrieb:
You may want to try adding bird bene bac to their diet. There have been studies that this will keep gram neg bacteria very nicely at bay.

Healthy Finches and Estrildids do not have any bacteria in their gastro intestinal tract. Parrots do however. It is called the Sterile Bowel Theory. Giving probiotics to finches and estrildids is a bad idea since it overburdens the birds’ immune system. The best thing to do in my experience is to provide optional solutions of weak acids e.g. apple cider vinegar solution.

If you want to read more about it.....
http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/features_sterilebowel.mgi

Ann Castro schrieb:
If they are expsoed to heat, it would be likely that the relevant chemicals may decompose or at the very least be impaired. Thus, I think it is unlikely that they would be sterilised. But honestly, I do not know. Will ask the pharmacists when I order my next batch.

What I meant was:
Will Milk Thistle seeds that do not germinate still be medicinally active if eaten?

Obviously if they are not, then even though my finches like these seeds, it would not really be helping their liver out since I have found that my Milk Thistle seeds have a germination rate of only 26%.

Do you ever go shopping in town with your parrot harnessed to your shoulder ?
Do parrots like the experience ?

Ann Castro schrieb:
Right, this parrot is absolutely phenomenal. Have you read the Alex story?

No I have not read it. All I know is what I saw Dr. P. do with Alex on television. That will always remain embedded in my mind. Alex is almost too human-like in his conversational skills to the extent that I feel in awe of him.

William
http://astorwilliam.tripod.com/index.htm

Healthy Finches and Estrildids do not have any bacteria in their gastro intestinal tract..... It is called the Sterile Bowel Theory.

That's interesting.

>Will Milk Thistle seeds that do not germinate still be medicinally active if eaten?

That is really difficult to say. In general, the percentage of germination in seeds is an indication of their freshness. This in turn is a function of time and storage conditions.

Vitamins decay, if stored. But do they decay at the same rate as the ability to germinate decreases?

Also the active incredeint, as far as liver is concerned is not a vitamin. I do not know what its time sensitivity may be.

But it is an interesting question. Do you know any botanist, pharmacist etc whom you might ask?

>Do you ever go shopping in town with your parrot harnessed to your shoulder ?

Once. I was at the vet and needed to run to the pharmacy. My GW wears a harness to bring him to and from the carrier int he car. So I just took him with me. He loves attention, so he was fine with it. Even stole a guys cheeseburger (who luckily thougth it was funny).

Int erms of going shoppig, most stores do not allow pets. Plus when I shop I shop, a parrot ont he shoulder needs full attention.

I do take my GW to the occasional dinenr party and into the garden or for a quick walk. CUrrentyl I have to yound dogs that I eed to train, so Jack cannot come, as it would be too difficult to handle. But to answer your question, yes, he enjoys it.

Other species are not as relaxed. One of my greys is trained to a harness, but she is afraid if taken outside, so I don't.

I am sonsiderin training one of my toos to a harness, because she also likes attention and people and would love to be with me. But right now, I am lacking the time. Have more pressing things that need taking care of.

Ann.

Ann Castro schrieb:
>Will Milk Thistle seeds that do not germinate still be medicinally active if eaten?

That is really difficult to say. In general, the percentage of germination in seeds is an indication of their freshness. This in turn is a function of time and storage conditions.
Vitamins decay, if stored. But do they decay at the same rate as the ability to germinate decreases?
Also the active ingredient, as far as liver is concerned is not a vitamin. I do not know what its time sensitivity may be.

But it is an interesting question. Do you know any botanist, pharmacist etc whom you might ask?

There is allexperts.com that I could ask but I am not sure whether they will be sure about this matter. If I find anything worthwhile, I will post here.

William

HI William!

Much time has passed. Just thought I'd let you know, that umpteen Milkthistle plants have come up inmy garden since I chucked some seeds outside.
The plants are quite beautiful too, with dark green leaves with white "drawings" on them.

Will try to feed whole seedheads to my birds in the fall, als the seeds ripen.

It eems they need a lot of light, whicht is difficult to provide indoors.

In a separate experiment, I also got them to grow onmy window sill, but only now. Again, in the winter time nothing sproutet. So it seems it is a function of light.

Take care,

Ann.

Thema: Mariendistel-Samen